Head teachers and Governors are coming under considerable pressure to convert to Academy status.
This Briefing looks at some of the main questions that need to be considered before a school decides to embark on the road to becoming an academy.
- The financial impact of leaving the Local Authority
- Relations with the Local Authority
- To raise attainment and close the attainment gap?
- More Autonomy over the curriculum?
- Freedom to Control admissions?
- Freedom from National agreements on pay and conditions?
- To increase Collaboration with other schools?
- To fulfil the pledge of the ‘Big Society’ which gives power back to the people?
- Are Academies ‘proven to succeed’?
- Privatisation – plain and simple
- Questions for Governors regarding academy proposals
- If we don’t convert now, will we be left behind?
- We can help
Last updated 26th January 2012 following the release of the GCSE results for 2011