Q&A section

>> See all questions

>> Ask new question

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Special needs access to school

From Kathryn:

I cannot get my daughter into the most suitable special school because it has become an academy. I canot go to tribunal either, what am i supposed to do now. has anyone any advice.

9 answers – add yours below

  1. Alasdair said:

    This is a very serious situation for you and your daughter. It must feel very frustrating. There is growing concern about Academies and SEN admissions. If you have not got legal advice yet, you need to do so immediately. If you email us we can help put you in touch with solicitors experienced in this area.

    25 May 2012 at 11:03am
  2. kathryn said:

    I don’t know your e-mail

    7 June 2012 at 10:59am
  3. kathryn said:

    P.S. we are not loaded but do not qualify for legal aid.

    7 June 2012 at 11:00am
  4. alasdair smith said:


    7 June 2012 at 5:43pm
  5. DAVID MOORE said:

    Is your child statemented ? Then first you have to get the LEA to request to name the school on your child’s statement…the School then has a time scale to reject the request ( check out the admissions code on the department of Education website). OR is it the LEA refusing to name the Academy school on your child’s statement because they consider another school more suitable? Prepare a concise factual case study and present to a) your MP..also write to Minister Sara Teather who’s supposed to be doing her best for SEN children. The website “a can of worms” is usually keen to at least publicise case studies and is widely consulted. Also the Local Schools Network website.

    9 June 2012 at 10:58am
  6. DAVID MOORE said:

    link to article in can of worms is here


    Does anyone know the LEa and Academy involved so they can be named and shamed?

    9 June 2012 at 11:04am
  7. DAVID MOORE said:


    Mossbourne Academy specifically cited in this article !!

    9 June 2012 at 11:06am
  8. Lea Hurst said:

    For parents in this situation I recommend the free lagal advice obtainable from IPSEA (www.ipsea.org.uk) and via the freeephone advice line-details on the website along with a great deal of useful general guidance

    15 December 2012 at 2:42pm
  9. kenyasue said:

    Greetings Kathryn If you have not had any success as yet please see below.
    Equality and Human Rights Commission

    Ask for legal support and guidance they are in breach of the Equalties act 2010 also human rights legislation message me and i will give you a number

    28 April 2013 at 11:56pm

Post an answer

Follow me on Twitter