Copied from the GMB
We could do without intervention in South West London school selling playing fields by body linked to Stanley Fink, Treasurer of the Conservative Party and that he has the temerity to complain about losing the right to tax breaks for such bodies is galling says GMB
GMB, the union with 618,000 members, has established that a range of organizations that promote free market solutions and free schools are registered as charities and as such they are entitled to donations eligible for taxpayer funded subsidies to promote these political views and policies.
Below are listed 10 such bodies which enjoyed an income of £27.6m in their last published accounts. GMB does not know how much of this income comes for the tax breaks to be capped as charity donations to promote such policies unlike political donations are not in the public domain.
|Absolute Return for Kids (ARK)||£13,593,000||Accounts for 31 Aug 2010|
|Future Leaders Charitable Trust Ltd||£6,903,226||Accounts for 31 Aug 2010|
|Policy Exchange Ltd||£2,076,820||Accounts for 30 Sep 2010|
|Social Affairs Unit||£612,587||Accounts for 30 Jun 2010|
|Civitas Ltd||£1,347,716||Accounts for 31 Dec 2010|
|Legatum Institute Foundation||newly registered|
|The Institute of Economic Affairs Ltd||£896,000||Accounts for 31 Dec 2010|
|Reform Research Trust||£1,122,693||Accounts for 31 Dec 2010|
|The Countryside Alliance Foundation||£799,125||Accounts for 31 Mar 2011|
|Politics and Economics Research Trust- linked to Taxpayers Alliance||£248,836||Accounts for 31 Dec 2010|
The ARK Board, trustees and patrons are as follows:
· Kevin Gundle – Chief Executive Officer Aurum Funds Ltd, founding Trustee of ARK.
· Nick Finegold – Co-Chief Executive Officer of Espirito Santo Investment Bank
· David Harding – Founder Chairman of Winton Capital Management. Ranked 196th of the Sunday Times Rich List 2011 with wealth of £410m.
· Arpad Busson – Hedge fund boss and founder of EIM. Ranked 381st in the Sunday Times Rich List valued at £180m with his girlfriend, Uma Thurman.
· Stanley Fink – Chief Executive Officer of International Standard Asset Management, Treasurer of the conservative party. Regarded as the father of the British Hedge Fund industry and ranked 583rd on the Sunday Times Rich list with wealth of £120m.
· Jennifer Moses – former Agent Provocateur director, wife of collapsed hedge fund boss Ron Beller and friend of Michale Gove.
· Blaine Tomlinson – Group CEO of Financial Risk Management Ltd, multi-billion dollar hedge fund.
· Nick Jenkins – Chief Executive Officer. Owner of online Greetings card company Moonpig.com, previously a commodities trader. Sunday Times Rich list, 1,474th with £45m. Chief Executive of ARK
· Ian Wace – Chairman. Set up Marshall Wace hedge fund with Paul Marshall. Ranked 257th on the Sunday Times Rich list with wealth of £300m.
· Paul Marshall – Set up Marshall Wace hedge fund with Ian Wace. Ranked 257th on the Sunday Times Rich list with wealth of £300m. Co-founder of ARK.
· Paul Dunning – hedge fund manager, established Finsbury Capital Advisers
· Michael Platt – Co-founder and CEO of Guernsey based asset management company, BlueCrest Capital Management. Ranked 143rd on the Sunday Times Rich list with wealth of £525m
· Anthony Williams, chairman of Bluefield Partners and former partner of Goldman Sachs
· Elton John – honorary patron
· Lily Safra – honorary patron, socialite and philanthropist worth an estimated $1.2bn. Inherited wealth from her late husband, Edmond Safra, billionaire banker.
· Elena Ambrosiadou – CEO of hedge fund Ikos. Was the highest paid woman in Britain until Ikos moved to Cyprus in 2005.
Paul Maloney GMB Regional Secretary for Southern Region said “ARK is up to its neck in promoting right wing dogma in South West London schools and are being totally disruptive and anti – democratic.
They are supporting the selling 4 acres of playing fields at Elliot School in Putney to pay the costs of buying land for a free school in Battersea which planned to exclude poor kids.The average annual household income of parents near the Elliot School is 63% of the London average household income. The average annual income of parents living near this new Battersea School is 186% of the London average household income.
So these rich people are entitled to tax breaks which they are free to use to promote robbing kids of playing fields in a poorer part of South West London to pay for a Bankers Free School in an affluent part of the area. ARK were quite happy to go along with the exclusion of poor kids on the wrong side of the track too till GMB stepped in to stop them.
Frankly we could do without this intervention in our community this body linked to Stanley Fink, Treasurer of the Conservative Party and father of the British Hedge Fund industry who is ranked 583rd on the Sunday Times Rich list with wealth of £120m. That he has the temerity to complain about losing the right to tax breaks for organizations promoting right wing dogma is galling.”